Lemon & Five Spice Chicken
3 tbsp Cornflour
2 tsp Five Spice
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
4 sliced chicken breasts
1 tbsp oil
2 Spring Onion, sliced
2 Celery Stalks, sliced
1 Pepper, sliced
2 Carrots, sliced
50g Green Beans
50ml lemon juice
1tbsp soy sauce
400 ml liquid (chicken stock, wine, water or a combination of these)
2 tbsp runny honey
1. Pour cornflour, five spice and ginger into a large bowl, add the chicken and stir until coated.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and keep it moving until coloured.
3. Put all the sliced vegetables in with the chicken and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add all of the liquid ingredients and stir again. Place a lid on the frying pan (or a plate).
5. Turn the heat to lowest setting and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
Rice or noodles, top with fresh coriander.
5 A Day Addition:
This meal is already full of tasty veg, but if you want more, try broccoli florets or baby sweetcorn.
Ways to Speed up this Meal
– Substitute the chicken for cooked prawns as they take only moments to cook. This means you can miss out the whole of step 1 and 2, just heat oil in a pan and then add the spices along with the vegetables. You can add the prawns to the pan a few minutes before serving.
– I buy frozen tiger prawns from Iceland (the supermarket). They are not expensive and are surprisingly juicy.
– Opt to serve with rice noodles they normally take around 3 minutes to cook, now that’s fast food!