Most weekends I cook these super healthy pancakes. They are protein based and contain no wheat or gluten. A protein breakfast is the best way to start the day; protein keeps you fuller for longer and can stop a mid-morning energy slump. We can also reap the benefits that added protein brings such as healthier skin, nails and muscles.
This easy protein pancake fits the bill in the morning. They are made using three ingredients: egg, banana and ground almonds; I sometimes throw in a handful of ground flax seeds to add extra goodness. Unlike your average pancake they do not take ages to make and with a large sauce pan you can cook several at the same time – in a similar way to drop scones. They can also be made in advance then covered and kept in the fridge for a day before reheating in the microwave!
An important note when cooking these pancakes is that the first time you try the recipe it may not come together exactly as my photograph – it takes a little practise to get the size, cooking time and turning of the pancakes just right. If you try this recipe please leave a comment and let me know how you got on – also I’d love you to post a photo over on my facebook page so I can see you and your pancakes.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 ripe fairly traded banana
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 tablespoons of ground almond
- Mash both bananas until smooth.
- Add eggs and beat mixture together until well combined.
- Shake in ground almonds and fold into the mixture.
- Grease a frying pan with oil (I like to use a spray oil).
- Place a large tablespoon full of mixture into the pan – I start by placing the spoonfuls around the edge of my pan. In my very large frying pan I can fit approximately 5, I expect in an average frying pan you could fit 3.
- Cook over a low heat until bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes.
- Take a fish slice and quickly flip of the pancakes – if they fall apart at all, push together and leave to cook.
- Serve when they are golden and piping hot.
NB: I’ve been thinking of filming this recipe and posting it - is this something people would find helpful, please let me know in the comments.