This week my brother and I took Baby G to our local fruit farm. We picked lots of plums and my husband and I turned these into chutney.
Our recipe is taken from Marguerite Pattern who, despite being a British food legend, is unknown to almost everybody I’ve mention her to. So, tomorrow in my next blog entry you can read all about Marguerite.
Here is the recipe for Spiced Plum Chutney:
- 2lb plums (weight when stoned)
- 1lb cooking apples (weight when peeled and cored)
- 1lb onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 600ml white malt vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 120z sultanas
- 1lb light brown sugar
- Half all plums and remove stones, peel and core apples, then dice into small chunks.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Put fruit, onions and garlic into a large pan with half the vinegar and all the spices.
- Simmer gently until fruit is soft, add sultanas, sugar and remaining vinegar.
- Stir over a low heat until sugar has dissolved, then boil steadily until the consistency is that of jam.
- Spoon into hot jars* and seal with lids.
* For instructions on how to prepare your jars read my jam making post.