When you have friends coming over at short notice, but you want to serve some homemade cakes try this recipe out. My delicious speedy cupcakes can be made in 30 minutes. The ‘golden’ in my ‘golden cupcakes’ comes from using light muscovado cane sugar, which gives the cakes a great taste and colour.
Makes 12 small cupcakes
- 2 oz soft butter
- 20z light muscovado cane sugar (sifted)
- 20z self-rising flour (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2tsp milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºc.
- Cream together butter and sugar (it is important for butter to be very soft before you begin mixing).
- Add half the flour, all the baking powder and the egg, fold gently together.
- Add remaining flour and milk, again fold gently.
- Spoon into cupcake cases, filling the cases a little under half way (I used brightly coloured silicone cupcake cases).
- Bake for a little 15 – 20 minutes – check the cakes by touching the top of one, if is done it should bounce back up and not leave an indentation.
- 1tbsp icing sugar
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 1tbsp of warm water
- tub of hundreds and thousands
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl.
- Add warm water a few drops at a time, whisking quickly until you have a smooth mixture that is liquid but not too runny.
- Drizzle icing on top of each cake and sprinkle with hundreds and thousands.