This recipe from, my meal plans, is continuously the most popular recipe on my blog. The pasta recipe is unbelievably quick. I even surprise myself how quickly dinner is on the table when I make this dish, and despite salmon appearing like a luxury food you can buy it cheapily. I like to use smoked salmon trimmings which are very reasonably priced. Tesco sell a pack for around £1. This makes smoked salmon a cheaper protein than chicken or bacon. Sometimes I buy a large pack of smoked salmon and cut up into smaller portions and freeze. You can defrost on the day you want to use it and this spreads the cost of a ‘normal’ sized pack. I also look out for special offers on smoked salmon, then I buy several packs at once, cut and freeze as above.
This is one of my husband’s favourite meals and I cooked it for my little boy for the first time today. He happily ate the salmon, since it is packed full of omega 3 I’m glad he’s made it an addition to his diet.
- 1 pack (120g-150g) smoked salmon trimmings
- 100g cream cheese or creme fraiche
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- if possible fresh herbs (basil, chives, parsley)
- 200ml liquid (white wine or milk)
- Pasta 350g (any type, spaghetti or fettuccine work well)
1. Cook pasta in boiling water.
2. Fry spring onion with garlic and mixed herbs on a low heat, add black pepper – as much as you like.
3. Take cooked drained pasta and add to frying pan.
4. Add cream cheese and stir continuously until the cheese has melted and covered pasta, add liquid now to loosen mixture.
5. Mix salmon into pan stirring well, leave on a low heat with a lid (or you can use a plate if your frying pan does not have a lid) for 3-5 mins.
6. Stir in chopped herbs, if using, and serve.
Salad of rocket, tomatoes and grated parmesan.
5 a day additions:
As in my photo you can add green beans to this dish, pop them in with the pasta when it is half way through cooking, then it can be added into the sauce alongside the pasta at stage 3. Cooking the pasta and green beans together saves on pans and washing up!