Yesterday I needed to make cupcakes but I had run out of time. I had to invent my new quick cupcakes – cupcakes made with rice crispies. I followed a simple recipe by Nigella Lawson and used silicone cupcake cases to make it easy to turn out the cakes. Next to change these cakes from basic crispie cakes into cupcakes I piped buttercream icing and added some fondant decorations.
These tasted delicious and took a less time to make than regular cupcakes. I think the adults at the party enjoyed these cakes more than the children!
Nigella’s Recipe is as follows:
(makes approx 20 cupcakes)
- 45 gram(s) butter
- 300 gram(s) mini marshmallows
- 180 gram(s) rice krispies
- 1 sprinkling of sprinkles (or edible glitter – optional)
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and cook gently until they are completely melted and blended, stirring constantly.
- Take the pan off the heat and immediately add the cereal, mixing lightly until well coated.
- Press the mixture into a greased silicone cupcakes cases; use two spoons to push and scrape into the cases as it will be very sticky. Flatten the top and
- Let the marshmallow crispy squares cool completely in the cases and then decorate with butter icing.
My buttercream icing recipe can be found here.