Thanks to Sainsbury’s for showing me this basic, easy carbonara sauce that I’ve been able to use time and again with a variety of different added ingredients. I tried out the Sainsbury’s feed your family for £50 campaign a few weeks ago and this recipe was a winner both in terms of how easy it was to put together and how great it tasted.
I’ve supplied the basic recipe below and then each time I cook it I add different main ingredients to make it a new dish every time. For example, today I added parma ham, some cooked spinach and peas. Another time I added a tin of salmon and some rocket. This is one recipe to have in your repertoire for a last minute meal or with a little forethought it makes a delicious main course for a dinner party.
- 350g spaghetti
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 eggs, yolks only
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml single cream or creme fraiche
- 60g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
*As explained above add to the ingredients list some of your own choices such as ham, peas, cherry tomatoes, maybe tinned salmon. The list goes on, be creative.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on packet.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and mixed herbs, cook until soft. Add to this any of your chosen ingredients, in the picture above I added parma ham (which once cooked is deliciously crispy), peas and some defrosted spinach.
- Pour into a bowl the egg yolks, milk and cream, whisk together and mix in half the grated cheese.
- Drain the pasta pour into the saucepan with the onions, add to this the creamy mixture and stir well together.
- On a low heat stir the sauce and pasta for 1-2 mins.
- Serve with ground black pepper and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
I guarantee this is a meal both adults and children will enjoy.