My big brother Matthew cooked this meal for my family a couple of months ago. It was the first time we had all eaten gnocchi, but Matt is a big fan of it since he visited Italy earlier this year. He loves to cook gnocchi not only because it is delicious, but he can buy a prepared packet cheaply and it only takes 3 minutes to cook!
Since Matt introduced us to gnocchi I found out you can serve it with a wide variety of sauces and have been trying them out at home for a speedy supper. Matt cooked his gnocchi with a ragu sauce roughly the same as my recipe below.
Matt is one of the biggest supporters of my blog. This week, as if he doesn’t do enough for me, he visited, played with my son, and cleaned George’s playroom carpet with a steam cleaner for me – now wouldn’t everyone want a brother like him?!!!
Here’s the recipe:
- 500g pack gnocchi (2 packs if you are extra hungry)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- ground black pepper
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 500g steak mince
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tub passata (500g)
- (optional – 1 glass red wine)
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add all ingredients except the passata and cook for roughly 3-5 mins or until soft.
- Add steak mince and fry until browned.
- Add passata (wine if using) to frying pan, simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Serve on gnocchi with ground pepper.