I love this recipe because it is an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables, which is especially good if you’ve got kids to feed. It’s quick to make and the cornflour coating of the chicken makes it super tender. You have to try this, it is yummy.
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 tsp Five Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 sliced chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 Spring Onion, sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 1 Pepper, sliced
- 2 Carrots, sliced
- 50g Green Beans
- 100g Peas
- 50ml lemon juice
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 400 ml liquid (chicken stock, wine, water or a combination of these)
- 2 tbsp runny honey
1. Pour cornflour, five spice and ginger into a large bowl, add the chicken and stir until coated.
2. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and keep it moving until coloured.
3. Put all the sliced vegetables in with the chicken and stir for a few minutes.
4. Add all of the liquid ingredients and stir again. Place a lid on the frying pan (or a plate).
5. Turn the heat to lowest setting and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through.
Rice or noodles, top with fresh coriander.
5 A Day Addition:
This meal is already full of tasty veg, but if you want more, try broccoli florets or baby sweetcorn.
Ways to Speed up this Meal
– Substitute the chicken for cooked prawns as they take only moments to cook. This means you can miss out the whole of step 1 and 2, just heat oil in a pan and then add the spices along with the vegetables. You can add the prawns to the pan a few minutes before serving.
– I buy frozen tiger prawns from Iceland (the supermarket). They are not expensive and are surprisingly juicy.
– Opt to serve with rice noodles they normally take around 3 minutes to cook, now that’s fast food!