A few months page I posted this blog on How To Meal Plan. I’m revisiting it today to help all those who are interested in writing their own meal plans. Hope you find this useful!
Here are 5 steps to create your own meal plan:
- Find out the weekly schedule for everybody in your family; see who will be eating at home on what days; see which days are busy and plan an easy meal to prepare.
- Look through the fridge/cupboards and see what there is to use, this will prevent duplicates being bought and keeps costs down.
- Write a list of 7 meals and, if lunch planning too, write a list of 7 lunch meals (or use an ilovemealplans.com meal plan from the meal plan page).
- Write a shopping list including all the things you need for your 7 meals plus extras such as cleaning products.
- Do one big shopping trip* and get everything you need, or make an online grocery order and have it delivered to your door.
*As a stay at home Mum I do one big weekly shop but leave some fresh items, such as salad, to bought throughout the week. Then later in the week I plan into my routine a trip to a local shop when it is convienent to buy a few fresh ingredients. If you plan ahead this can fit into an routine such as a trip to a shop on the way home from work, rather than arriving home and realising it is necessary to go out again to the shops.
If you use my 5 steps to meal planning you may find it helpful to use a meal plan chart and place it somewhere that everyone can see it. I have found an attractive free meal plan at this website: OlliBird.com