Here are 5 steps to create your own meal plan:
- Find out the weekly schedule for everybody in your family; see who will be eating at home on what days; see which days are busy and plan an easy meal to prepare.
- Look through the fridge/cupboards and see what there is to use, this will prevent duplicates being bought and keeps costs down.
- Write a list of 7 meals and, if lunch planning too, write a list of 7 lunch meals (or use an ilovemealplans.com meal plan from the meal plan page).
- Write a shopping list including all the things you need for your 7 meals plus extras such as cleaning products.
- Do one big shopping trip* and get everything you need, or make an online grocery order and have it delivered to your door.
*As a stay at home Mum I do one big weekly shop but leave some fresh items, such as salad, to bought throughout the week. Then later in the week I plan into my routine a trip to a local shop when it is convienent to buy a few fresh ingredients. If you plan ahead this can fit into an routine such as a trip to a shop on the way home from work, rather than arriving home and realising it is necessary to go out again to the shops.
If you use my 5 steps to meal planning you may find it helpful to use a meal plan chart and place it somewhere that everyone can see it. I have found an attractive free meal plan at this website: OlliBird.com