It is so hot here at the moment that it is definitely ice cream weather. I never thought homemade ice cream would be worth the effort, but I found out I was wrong. I use a recipe which allows me to make ice cream without an ice cream maker, so everyone should be able to make this recipe. Try it, you are going to like it!
Here it is, enjoy:
- 1/2 fresh vanilla pod
- 1/2 pint milk (skimmed or full fat)
- 3 egg yolks
- 4oz caster sugar
- 1/2 pint double cream
- 50g chocolate chips
- Split vanilla pod open and place with milk into a pan, heat gently until nearly boiling.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour a little of the hot milk in with the egg mixture whisking quickly, slowly add the rest of the milk whisking all the time so that the eggs do not curdle.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture back into the pan over a low heat, stir gently, but continuously, until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream until thick and once the egg/milk mixture is cool mix it together with the cream.
- Remove the vanilla pod, add in the chocolate chips and stir.
- Place in a plastic container with a lid and put in the freezer for approx 3 hours, after which take the mixture and stir well to ensure it freezes evenly (the edges will freeze first, the middle will be last, so by stirring the mixture it will replace the need for an ice cream maker).
- Leave in the freezer over night or at least 6-8 hours – then enjoy!
Since the ice cream uses only the yolk of the egg you could use the egg white to make meringues – a great accompaniment to serve with the ice cream.