After our fruit picking this weekend we enjoyed eating Gooseberry fruit fool. It was delicious and incredibly easy to make. I took the gooseberries to my parents’, where we had Sunday lunch, and I cooked the fruit fool for dessert after we’d had dinner.
1/2lb gooseberries (top and tailed)
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 can or carton of custard (average 425g)
- Put gooseberries and sugar in a saucepan under a gentle heat until soft, this should take about 10 minutes.
- Pour custard in with the fruit and increase the heat, once the mixture is steaming turn off the heat.
- Use a hand blender to mix fruit and custard together until it is a smooth consistancy.*
- Taste the mixture and if you find the mixture a little sharp try adding a teaspoon or two of sugar .
- Serve either hot or cold.
*You can sieve the mixture at this stage if you prefer not to have pips in the dessert.
See this Summer Fruit Fool post for another way to enjoy this dessert.