Well finally Britain has a new Prime Minister and so let’s celebrate with something truly British – a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake. Now what can I share with you that’s cake related….
My little boy is cake mad! Totally cake crazy! So I went on a hunt for a healthy alternative – a sugar free cake. All I expected to find were recipes substituting sugar for an artificial sweetener, which I am not a fan of. To my surprise I found a fantastic recipe that has no refined sugar or fat! I have adapted the recipe to make it my own and it is so yummy! George loves it and so do the rest of the family. This cake will be good for diabetics; it is egg and dairy free making it great for vegans or anyone with a dairy intolerance. Please try it out and let me know what you think.
250g dried apricots, roughly chopped
85g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground mixed spice
85g wholemeal flour
400g bag dried, mixed fruit
80ml orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3, grease a large cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Place the apricots and water in a pan, bring to the boil, remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve together the plain flour, wholemeal flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl.
- Add mixed fruit and mix together.
- Stir in the wet apricot mixture as well as the orange juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into the cake tin.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
Experiment with your own choice of dried fruits to give variety to this cake every time you bake this recipe.