This year, saving on the pennies, I made gifts for my husband’s work colleagues. After seeing some Christmas Star Biscuits for sale as a gift in a posh delicatessant I decided to make my own Spiced Christmas Biscuits. I wrapped them up in cellophane bags with some red ribbon hoping that they would look professional. I really enjoyed making them and George helped too!
The recipe I used was based on my Gingerman recipe. I updated the recipe with more mixed spice and some cinnamon for a Christmas feel. A star cookie cutter and some white lemon icing completed my Christmas Cookie gifts. The only problem I have now is that there are none left for us! I’ll have to get baking again, these are a must in the biscuit tin at this time of year!
Here’s my recipe:
- 390g plain flour
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger (or more to your taste)
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 160 ml golden syrup
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a food mixer.
- Add the egg and molasses and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170°c and place rack in the center of oven. Line 2 baking tray with baking paper and set aside while you roll out the dough.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a star cutter to cut out the cookies.
- With a spatula gently lift the cookies onto the baking tray, placing the cookies about 2cm apart.
- Bake for approx 8 – 12 mins depending on the size of the cookies. Small ones need 8 minutes, larger cookies approx 12 minutes. They are done when they are firm, golden, but still slightly soft.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking tray for about a minute. When they are firm enough to move, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
- 8oz/225g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp tsp lemon juice
- Add 1tsp lemon juice to sugar, mix until smooth, adding more lemon juice until the icing is thick and pourable, but not runny. Add extra sugar to thicken the mixture if it becomes too runny.
- Scrape into a piping bag with a fine tip and pipe onto cooled cookies.
- Allow to set for at least 1-2 hrs, until firm, before storing cookies in an airtight container.
This post is contributed for Sauce Communications.