My Mum loves to cook tomato pasta. Last time she cooked for me she made a delicious pasta using chorizo. She used her Bacon & Tomato Pasta recipe that features on my Meal Plan page and simply substituted the bacon for chorizo. It was really yummy and really quick as she made it in under 30 minutes.
Here’s the recipe:
1 pack sliced chorizo (approx 150g)
1 onion, diced
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp chopped rosemary
2 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 carrot finely chopped
1 tsp tomato paste
1 tin of chopped tomatoes 400g
1 glass of red wine
1 tbsp sliced olives or a handful of whole olives
100g grated cheese
Pasta (any type) 75g per person (however hungry you are serve more or less pasta)
*(2 tins makes lots of yummy sauce, but 1 tin will stretch to serve 4)
1. Heat oil, over a medium heat, in a large frying pan. Cut chorizo into small pieces and add to the pan with onion, herbs, fennel seeds, ground pepper (as much as you like) and last the garlic (as it can burn); stir.
2. Brown the ingredients , add all of the chopped vegetables, continue to cook for approximately another 2/3 minutes.
3. Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, wine and olives; stir.
4. Reduce the heat under the sauce to your lowest setting and pop on a lid (use a plate if your frying pan does not have a lid). Cook for approx 10 mins.
5. Put pasta on to cook.
6. Simmer sauce until the pasta is ready, but do check on it and add a little liquid if it is reducing more than you would like.
7. Pour cooked pasta and grated cheese into the frying pan and stir.
Watercress and rocket salad.