2 tins mandarin oranges in juice
2 chocolate swiss rolls (approx 250g)
100-200g chocolate dark is best*
400g pot/carton of vanilla custard
275ml crème fraiche
Cocoa powder for dusting
*With Easter coming up any leftover Easter egg chocolate could be melted and used in the custard.
- Separate mandarins from juice and spread them evenly across the bottom of trifle bowl, add a couple of teaspoons of the juice.
- Cut swiss roll into 1cm slices and layer over the mandarins, piecing the slices together to cover the mandarins as much as possible.
- Take the chocolate and melt on a low heat in the microwave, once melted stir into the custard until it becomes a rich dark brown.
- Pour the chocolate custard over the swiss roll and smooth to make an even layer.
- Add the crème fraiche and spread gently to cover the custard without mixing together.
- Dust the top of trifle with sieved cocoa powder (If you like the star decoration invest in some coffee stencils).
- Chill in the fridge for at least half an hour before serving.
Top Tip: The stars were made using a coffee stencil. See amazon for the set I used: