Last week I cooked cauliflower cheese for dinner. My Mum used to cook this for us when I was little and she made it into a whole meal by adding bacon, tomatoes and serving it with toast. I always think of this as a bit of a retro dish, especially since my Mum cooked this for my Dad as their first meal as a married couple back in the 60s!
When I told my husband we were having cauliflower cheese for dinner I got the impression he thought it wasn’t really a whole meal and just a side dish. Then, when I served it with lots of bacon, roasted tomato and toast he really enjoyed it, as did Baby G. In fact, we couldn’t even finish it all! I’m pleased it was such a hit as it’s an easy and cheap midweek meal. I made my cheese sauce from scratch but you could buy a white sauce and add grated cheese, or even buy a packet cheese sauce. Here’s my recipe:
- 1 large cauliflower
- 300ml (½ pint) milk
- 110g (4oz) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 50g (2oz) butter
- ½ tsp mustard
- 4 rashes bacon
- 12-16 cherry tomatoes
- Plenty of toast
- Trim the cauliflower boil in salted water for 10-15 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, add the butter to a hot saucepan and melt, stir in flour to make a thick paste, then slowly add the milk stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, boils and is smooth*, simmer gently.
- Add grated cheese and mustard, cook for further minute stirring well.
- Grill bacon and tomatoes, once bacon cooked chop into small pieces.
- Place cooked cauliflower into a large shallow dish pour cheese sauce over, sprinkle bacon on top and place tomatoes around the edge.
- Serve with toast.
*If your sauce is lumpy push through a sieve to make smooth.