My son and I have porridge for breakfast most mornings. Oats are an excellent way to start the day; they line the stomach with good slow release carbohydrate; have soothing properties and are so much cheaper than the over processed sugar and salt loaded cereals. If you want one way to reduce your weekly shop it could be to cut out branded boxes of cereal and opt for homemade porridge.
Now, I have to tell you that my husband is not a fan of porridge (he generally thinks it is boring and bland) but I’ve converted him with this recipe and hence I’ve called it ‘The Best Ever Porridge Recipe’. Once you’ve tried it you won’t be eating it because it is healthy or inexpensive to make, but because it is delicious. It is my use of grated fruit which gives the porridge its natural healthy sweet flavour without the addition of any sugar.
In my recipe I refer to cups for measurement. I have a set of ‘American’ cups to measure with as it is quicker and easier in the morning than weighing the ingredients. If you don’t have a specific set of measuring cups try using a tea cup, just as long as you use the same cup to measure with the recipe will work. If you’d like a set of cups the set below is very cheap at Amazon.co.uk
Serves 2 adults:
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 large apple or pear peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/3 cup of raisins or sultanas
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan.
- Place on a hob under a low heat.
- Stir the mixture until it is smooth and silky, this should take less then 5 mins.
- Serve with a little extra milk and extra fruit you like (my favourite are blueberries).
Please leave a comment if you try this recipe!