Baby G and I had our first venture into the world of Mother and son cooking this week. We’ve done a little cooking as a family but now he’s a toddler I thought it was time that we started baking together!
We kept it really simple and made some fairy cakes and by the way how do fairy cakes differ from cup cakes? I was able to add my own little twist as I like to use Goats products and I used a soft plain goats cheese to make a sweet cream cheese topping just like a carrot cake topping. This made the cakes extra yummy!
The recipe I used is so simple:
- 4 oz self raising flour
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz butter (or goats butter) softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- Sift flour, sugar and baking powder into large bowl.
- Add butter and eggs to the bowl, slowly fold together until a smooth consistancy.
- Mixture should drop easily from a spoon, add a little milk to achieve this if needed.
Cream Cheese Topping:
- 50g cream cheese
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 75g icing sugar
- Sift icing sugar into cream cheese mix until a smooth consistency.
- Add lemon juice, mix well.
- Spread or drizzle onto fairy cakes.
Taste the icing, you may like it sweeter or more tart, add icing sugar or lemon juice accordingly.
cooking with kids cooking with kids cooking with kids cooking with kids cooking with kids
cooking with toddlers cooking with toddlers cooking with toddlers cooking with toddlers