Mmmm I love avocado. Not just because it tastes great but because it is so good for you. I think there is nothing better than eating something you love and knowing, rather than it being a naughty treat like cake, you are actually eating something healthy.
Avocado is packed full of goodness. It has vitamin C, B6, E, K, magnesium, folic acid, lutein and potassium as well as other health giving properties. Here a few of the health benefits these nutrients provide:
- Maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Good eye health in the eldery.
- Supports proper muscle function.
- Healthy skin.
- Helps produce antibodies to support our immune system.
- Provides folic acid an essential part of a pregnant woman’s diet for the healthy growth of her baby.
- Healthy source of fat.
Here is a way I like to serve avocado as a starter or lunch served with crusty bread:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashes bacon, chopped into small chunks
- Handful of chopped chives
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- Mixed salad leaves
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add bacon and fry until crisp.
- Add chives, black pepper and lemon juice, stir.
- Set saucepan aside to cool a little.
- Remove skin and stone from avocado, slice thinly*.
- Place mixed salad leaves on two plates, divide avocado into two portions and serve on top of salad.
- Pour the warm dressing of oil, bacon and lemon juice over the avocado.
* This youtube video is really helpful if you’ve never chopped up an avocado before or find it fiddly.