Recently it has been all about blackberries in our household. My little boy loves them; he is surprisingly good at spotting even the smallest blackberry patch and despite the thorns he is able to pick them himself. Every walk we go on he is looking out for blackberries! I’m pleased he likes them as they are packed full of vitamin C. In fact, this blog is inspired entirely by my boy, who suggested to his Nanny and I that blackberries and ice cream would be a good idea, we were suitably impressed – 2 years old and a chef in the making. His first own contribution to my blog.
If you want to have some fruit for free use blackberries, they are growing everywhere at the moment. If you do get out and pick some here are some ideas for your blackberries:
- Heat blackberries with a few teaspoons of water and sugar in a saucepan til soft, pour over ice cream.
- Add berries to breakfast cereal.
- Make blackberry jam.
- Stew apples and blackberries in a saucepan, add custard to make delicious fruit fool.
- Mock Trifle – this recipe of mine combines chocolate and blackberries.
- Cook rich meat such as duck or venison and add blackberries to the pan with red wine for a delicious sauce.
- Add berries to both plain and fruit yogurt to add some extra vitamins.
- Use blackberries to top a pavlova.
- Blackberries are great added to a pear or apple crumble.
- Whiz blackberries in a blender with yogurt and milk to make a smoothie.