Every magazine I see seems to be doing a diet for Christmas – ‘How to lose half a stone in 2 weeks’ – you know the type of thing! I like to think of healthy eating as a constant diet rather than a short term crash diet. So I thought I’d put together my top 10 tips for eating well, reducing your weight and keeping it off.
- Always eat breakfast – people who eat breakfast are slimmer than those who skip this meal. It keeps you full for the morning and stops you snacking.
- Make your own lunch – if you rely on supermarket or cafe sandwiches you will be adding in lots of hidden sugar, salt and fat into your diet. If you make your own lunch you know exactly what is going into your sandwich!
- Walk anywhere under a mile and take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Eat lot of raw vegetables – I term these negative calories as they take more energy to digest than you gain from eating them.
- Evening meals should be protein based with low carbs. If you relax in the evening and do little exercise then you do not need the energy provided by carbohydrate and it can turn into fat – yuck!.
- Avoid soft drinks, even diet versions – they all have sugar or sweeteners – just drink water.
- Cut out takeaways, they are packed with fat.
- Start meal planning – you can plan 7 healthy meals instead of impulse buying bad foods when you are hungry. Use my meal plans to help you.
- Be careful when buying low fat products – they are often high in sugar, which means they can still help you pile on the pounds. Buy low fat plain greek yogurt and add fruit or muesli.
- Eat slowly – it takes approxametly 30 minutes for your stomach to register with your brain that you are no longer hungry. If you eat quickly you will not allow your body to realise it is full, eat slowly and you will eat less.
I hope you find these useful, sensible tips – do you have any tips to add? Please leave your thoughts….